MSPRC Resolution Timeline*
CMS has revamped the Medicare recovery process, creating a more efficient and less questionable path for the verification of Medicare conditional payments. Based on a compilation of facts from www.MSPRC.info, Medicare Correspondence, and daily interaction with MSPRC, we have created a timeline to a serve as a general guide to the Medicare Resolution Process, and what can be expected by all parties entering a settlement with a possible Medicare obligation.
The following is an approximate timeline for the Medicare recovery process*:
- Day 1: Report to Coordination of Benefits Contractor (COBC) by calling 1(800)999-1118.
- Day 2 – 12: The case is transferred to the Medicare Secondary Payer Contractor (MSPRC) from the COBC within 2 weeks.
- Day 14-21: Within (7) days of the record being created in the MSPRC’s database, a Rights and Responsibility (RAR) letter will be sent to the beneficiary and their attorney.
- The MSPRC will begin their claim retrieval process, which takes approximately 8 weeks.
- Day 30 – 65: Effective October 1, 2009 the MSPRC will issue a conditional payment letter to the beneficiary and all authorized parties reflecting Medicare’s recovery amount within (65) days of the date of the RAR.
- An updated conditional payment amount can only be requested every 90 days.
- Day 66 – 95: Once all settlement information has been provided to the MSPRC, the demand should be issued within 10 – 30 days.
Synergy can assist in the resolution of Medicare liens. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling us at (877)907-5436 for more information on how we can help.